The Historic Boats
The Clavero is the oldest boat still navigating the Amazon River. She was built by Claparede Freres in Paris France in 1876.
Originally named Cahuapanas, she was a Peruvian naval ship of the first Amazonian fleet. She was used by the Peruvian military during their victorious campaign to expel the invasion of Ecuador on the Napo River in 1903. She was commissioned in 1905 by the joint Peruvian-Brazilian exploration of the upper Purus River to settle their frontiers, captained by D. Numa P. Leon. In the 1930’s her name was changed to Clavero in recognition of the most famous naval hero of the Peruvain Amazon, Teniente Primero Manuel Clavero Muga. She underwent restoration between 2007-2009 that reflects her heroic military heritage and distinguished naval services.
The Clavero was one of the most important naval ships of the Peruvian Amazon. She was used for military services to protect Peru’s frontiers, she explored many of the unknown tributaries, and she supplied vital communication through her mail delivery. She now navigates the Amazon in her former glory and reminds all of the importance of naval steam boats for the security and services they so gracefully provided. Her marine ornaments show in grandeur as they intermingle with the forest rivers that she knows so well, and memories of war and peace flow by her hull as the wakes of time reflect off the magical rivers she still calls home.
The Clavero is 28 metres long and 5 metres wide and has two main decks and an upper viewing area. The boat uses one main diesel engine and two generators.
Accommodation includes 6 cabins fitted with air conditioning, wardrobe and private bathrooms with showers. A large dining hall is used for meals, and houses a bar and library with classic books on the Amazon.
The Clavero's marine ornaments show in grandeur as they intermingle with the forest rivers that she knows so well, and still calls home.